The Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA) at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is looking for a consultant (up to 11 months, home-based) on fisheries and aquaculture value chain development to take a leading role in Fish4ACP, a 5-year project funded by the European Union.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Managerially and technically lead the value chain analysis (VCA) and action and investment plan development in one or more of the selected ACP country value chains.
- Participate in a training workshop on the methodology that will be used for the economic, social and environmental analysis of the value chains. This Fish4ACP methodology combines FAO’s Sustainable Food Value Chain (SFVC) Development approach (http://www.fao.org/3/a-i3953e.pdf) with elements of the EU’s VCA4D approach.
- Use the FAO VCA Tool (http://www.fao.org/policy-support/resources/resources-details/en/c/885654/) in order to conduct the functional and quantitative economic and financial analysis.
- Manage the value chain analysis team(s) of international and national consultants for selected value chain(s); assist in the identification of team members; and train them in the Fish4ACP methodology (ensuring a common understanding and application by the team).
- Oversee, support and provide quality control to the data collection and report.writing process throughout.
- Ensure that a participatory approach is taken by leading the planning and execution of inter-ministerial and public-private value chain stakeholder meetings and conducting no less than three workshops (e.g. inception workshop, validation workshop, strategy and action plan workshop).
- As lead author, coordinate and finalize the value chain analysis and action/investment plan reports, following the provided guidelines, with inputs from all members of the team.
- Lead the overall economic sustainability analysis, elaborating the financial accounts for value chain actors, and economic analysis for the value chain, including international competitiveness, calculation of value added (direct and indirect) using the FAO VCA Tool (http://www.fao.org/policy-support/resources/resources-details/en/c/885654/).
- Support global learning, exchange of information, lessons learned and good practices to improve the VCA methodology, and its application for potential fisheries and aquaculture projects going forward.
- Advanced university degree in agribusiness, fisheries and aquaculture, business administration, economics, agricultural economics, food industries, international development studies, or a related field.
- At least 12 years of relevant experience in agribusiness and value chain development.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of French or Spanish. Knowledge of Portuguese would also be an asset.
Application deadline: 17th of November 2019