The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in Accra, Ghana, is looking for a Fishery and Aquaculture Officer.
RAF is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the
emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
- Researches and analyzes technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, and technology related information, data and statistics and/or related policy issues to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services
- Produces a variety of technical information, data, statistics and reports as well as input for technical documents and web pages.
- Provides technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and initiatives and provides technical backstopping to field projects.
- Collaborates in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases.
- Participates on multi-disciplinary teams, and/or leads working groups/teams collaborates with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices.
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools.
- Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influence partners in stakeholder consultations.
- Supports resource mobilization activiti es in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Advanced university degree in economics, fisheries economics, food engineering, food technology, marine affairs with a specialization in fisheries management and/or governance or other related field
- Five years of relevant experience in fish trade, fishery products safety and quality, field of statistics and data management of fisheries, or related field including food technology and processing
- Working knowledge of English and French
Application deadline: 17th November 2014
Please see also: http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/VA/pdf/IRC2643e.pdf