The Institute of Coastal Research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Germany, is investigating the physical and biogeochemical dynamics of the coastal ocean. The Institute develops and operates the coastal observing system COSYNA, as well as a variety of numerical models. In order to investigate the role of the physical and biogeochemical dynamics of coastal regions for global processes we are looking for a qualified and motivated scientist to develop, shape, and evaluate our modelling efforts for a flexible globally applicable coastal model.
We therefore invite applications for a Postdoctoral position (m/f) in the area of Numerical Modelling. The position is initially limited for three years (starting date as soon as possible).
The successful applicant will be working on scientific development and adaptation of a finite element/volume model with the goal of creating a flexible, globally usable coastal model, as well as on the scientific evaluation of model results. The model development will first encompass a physical ocean general circulation model. In a further step it will be expanded to biogeochemical parameters.
- a PhD in oceanography, geosciences, mathematics or related disciplines within the last five years
- strong academic publication record
- extensive experience in numeric modelling and model development
- profound programming skills in at least one scientific program language (e.g. FORTRAN, C, C++)
- good knowledge of English (written and oral)
- high degree of creativity and flexibility; ability to work under pressure
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team with scientists, engineers, and technicians
The following qualifications would be desirable:
- knowledge of coastal and shelf sea physical and/or biogeochemical processes as well as biological-physical interaction
- prior experience with data assimilation
- international research experience
Application deadline: 23rd Novemeber 2014
Please see also: http://www.hzg.de/campus_career/vacencies/056755/index.php.de