DTU Aqua, Section for Marine Ecology, in Denmark is looking for a coordinator for interdisciplinary ecosystem survey.
The applicant is expected to contribute to the continuation and further development of interdisciplinary research cruises conducted by DTU Aqua, focusing especially on plankton and fisheries related work in the Baltic and North Sea. In particular, the applicant is expected to assure the continuation and further improvement of a >25 year time series of zoo- and ichthyoplankton, single fish and stomach content data from the Baltic Sea, which is jointly held by DTU Aqua and GEOMAR Kiel, Germany. This task will be fulfilled by planning of and active participation in interdisciplinary research surveys conducted by DTU Aqua and by coordinating these surveys with GEOMAR as well as additional new partners from Germany as well as Poland.
In addition, the applicant will be responsible for the Danish contribution to the MIK survey conducted during the IBTS (International Bottom Trawl Survey), which provides data for different ICES Working groups, in particular the Herring Assessment Working Group.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Planning and conducting DTU Aqua’s own interdisciplinary research cruises in the Baltic Sea (partly in close cooperation with the Section for Monitoring and Data)
- Coordination of interdisciplinary research cruises in the Baltic Sea between DTU Aqua and our partners in Germany and Poland (GEOMAR – Kiel, Thünen Institute of Baltic Sea Fisheries – Rostock, Institute for Hydrobiology and Fisheries Science – Hamburg) as well as Poland (National Marine Fisheries Research Institute – Gdynia)
- Coordination of the Danish contribution to the MIK survey conducted during the IBTS (International Bottom Trawl Survey), including sampling, sample analysis and provision of data to the respective working groups
The successful candidate should have
- Extensive experience in planning and conducting research cruises
- Experience with various sampling techniques (CTD, water samples, plankton, fisheries)
- Due to the close cooperation with partners from Germany, knowledge of the German language would be an advantage
Application deadline: 10th July 2013