The Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (CEFAS) in Weymouth, UK, is looking for a Laboratory Support Technician. The purpose of the post is to provide technical laboratory support across the Food Safety Group particularly with respect to UK Official Control monitoring programmes in microbiology and biotoxin testing of bivalve shellfish.
The main duties of this post are:
- Receipting of shellfish samples from 07:00am (up to 4 days per week ).
- Initial preparation of shellfish samples (opening).
- Undertaking analysis for the faecal indicator organism – E. coli in bivalve shellfish – following training.
- Cleaning and disinfecting sample boxes. This may involve heavy manual work.
- Packing and dispatching sample boxes to sampling officers (throughout UK).
- Adherence to UKAS accredited procedures.
- Adherence to laboratory health and safety requirements.
- Assistance with general laboratory maintenance activities (accreditation, general housekeeping, ordering of consumables – following training) as required.
You will need to work flexibly, responding to needs of business unit as and when required.
This job is not suitable for anybody with a shellfish allergy. The successful candidate will be required to have and maintain up to date tetanus immunisation. Hepatitis A vaccination will also be required.
Closing date: 8 July 2013
Please see also: http://www.cefas.defra.gov.uk/vacancies.aspx