The Algarve Centre for Marine Sciences (CCMAR), Portugal, opens a call for a Doctoral Researcher (M/F) under the research project “CLIMFISH: Análise da vulnerabilidade da pesca costeira às mudanças climáticas na costa Portuguesa, ref. ALG-01-0145-FEDER-028518”.
Reporting to the project PI and seniors of the multidisciplinary team, the candidate (Doctoral Researcher) will be responsible for/to:
• Carry out research, publication and support debate around climate change impact in key commercial fish species and fisheries, assess socio-economic impacts and promote adaptation strategies.
• Organize and promote workshops among scientists, fishing producer’s organizations, fishing industry, fishing professionals, managers and fisheries police makers and in-person meetings with multiple stakeholder groups that could be used for fisheries management and conservation under climate change threats.
• Work and help to coordinate the multi-disciplinary team (climate scientists, ecologists, socio-economists, oceanographers) within a good working environment.
• Evaluate the effect of climate change impacts on key fish species (evaluate sensitivity, exposure and adaptability based on species biological and ecological traits) and evaluate climate change effects on fisheries socio-economic related activities (sensitivity, exposure and adaptability of the fishing sector).
• Help investigate and test new approaches, tools and methods to characterize and predict fisheries climate vulnerability and enable climate adaptation at regional scale.
• Participate in developing reports and scientific papers on issues related to climate change vulnerability, impacts and adaptation (using good communication skills and an ability to simplify language for different fisheries stakeholders).
• Help to lead an independent research and to apply to funding.
• Train researchers at the graduate, master and doctoral level.
Madatory Required Profile: Any National, foreign and stateless candidate(s) that hold the following requirements can apply:
1. PhD in Natural Sciences, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences or related area.
2. A minimum of 3 years of research experience as post-doc in the climate change field or related area.
3. Specific knowledge in marine environment ecosystems.
4. Strong teamwork and communication skills.
5. Be a holder of a B category-driving license (with permission to drive in Portugal).
6. Fluent in English language.
Application period: between 28 of May and 26 of June 2018
Please see also: https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/en/job/call-doctoral-researcher-mf-hiring-under-artcle-19-decree-law-nr-572016-29th-august-altered-law